On the Journey

I am sitting in San Francisco airport currently waiting to be able to board my 14 and 1/2 hour flight to Manila, Philippines.  I arrived here in San Francisco at 8:45 am this morning, but had to hang out in the entrance part of the terminal until about 6:15 pm.  I tried to lay down a couple of places to rest, but got kicked out of the most comfortable one.  The others I tried left alot to be desired, but alas that’s the life of a traveler.  Things have gone smoothly with one exception.  When checking in my bag for this flight, they also wanted to weigh my carry on bags.  Now in the past weight has never been an issue even on international flights when it comes to carry on bags so I’ve never bothered to even check their weight.  Apparently Philippine Airlines is different.  Not only does the weight matter, both of my carry on bags were over weight and with my checked bag already maxed out, I was told I was going to need to check my rolling carry on.  This instantly gives me stress, because the way I pack my carry ons is as follows.  Wheeled carry on contains essentials to survive if my luggage is lost (which it has been in the past) and my backpack carries electronics and essentials for the actual plane ride, but no clothes and only basic necessities for daily refreshing like deodorant, toothpaste, contact solution, meds, etc.  I also spread out the needs for checking in between the two bags and usually split my money around etc. so it’s not always in one spot.  I start asking can I just pay extra to take both bags as they are.  The answer I’m given is that it is a safety issue so no amount of money is gonna get both these bags on the plane with me.  While trying not to panic and definitely not functioning on all cylinders because I haven’t slept right in days and theoretically haven’t slept for more than 20 min snatches in the last 48 hours or so, I attempt to rationalize this in my head.  I tell the lady I need to take my bags over to the side and reorganize.  She gives me all my bags back, but holds on to my passport until I return.  I call mom now I’m just about in tears because my brain isn’t figuring this out for me.  She reminds me that these bags are in fact getting on the plane with me because they aren’t getting connected through another place.  Although still not convinced I attempt to think about what is in my wheeled bag that I need/want access to for this 14 and 1/2 hour flight.  Mom reminds me to get all my money out of it too thankfully because that wasn’t even on my mind at the time.  I ultimately try to parse out essentials and leave all the clothes in the bag so at the moment the only clothes I have guaranteed to have with me are the ones I’m wearing.  Although better than nothing, it seems quite scary as I’ve never done that for an international flight before.  Anyway, I am trusting the Lord to get my bags where they need to be.  When I arrive in Manila I’m supposed to pick the bags up and take them through customs rechecking them after passing through the system.  The good news is I will know if they are still with me or not.  The bad news is I will most likely have to check the wheeled bag again. 😦  So currently I have my trusty backpack with me and I’m just waiting to board the longest flight of my life with just the clothes on my back.  Wonder what the Lord is teaching me today. 😉  He can clothe the lilies of the field so I have to trust that He can clothe me too if I need it!  Thankfully I’m much calmer now than I was when the news was first delivered to me.  I do hope I can find a way to catch some zzz’s on the plane because I know my body and brain need it.  Your continued prayers are appreciated and I will update again as soon as I am able when I get to the Philippines, but it may be a few days.  I should arrive in Manila around 4pm EST Friday 10/24 for all of you and in Tacloban around 9pm EST Fri 10/24 for all of you.  It will be 4am on Sat 10/25 and 9am 10/25 for me.  Also please pray for my cold bug to go completely away.  I caught something viral over the weekend which caused me to have a rougher time packing and getting everything together this week and although I seem to be better I still have some lingering remnants in the way of a nasty cough now and again and some mucus coming up/out.  I want to be well enough to start work on Monday as planned, but am thankful I will have Sat and Sun to greet my family for my host stay, be introduced to the program I am working with and learn my way around the city a little. 🙂  I look forward to reporting that all my luggage arrived safely and on time with me on my next post! 😉  Thank you to each and every one of you who is following along and praying!  Feel free to share with anyone who may enjoy as well. 🙂  This is farewell from the US for the last time this year.  Until next time… in the Philippines! 🙂

Categories: Traveling | 2 Comments

Post navigation

2 thoughts on “On the Journey

  1. Kayla Baker

    Praying all your luggage arrives with you and that your cold subsides! Looking forward to hearing more from you (:

    (Applebee’s girl, hahaha)


  2. You are doing what you need to do so you can get where you want to be! I imagine about now you are tired of flying. You have about 1 more hour before landing in Manila. I love you bunches! By the way, I have been converted to blogging. I am enjoying your blog. 🙂 ❤


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: